For every house is built by someone,

but the builder of all things is God.

Hebrews 3:4






Friday, November 6, 2009

Marian's Favorite Apple Dumplings

Take 4 juicy apples...




and take a recipe...



  to make this delicious apple treat!

 Let's get started

Ingredients:

4 apples of your choice.  I used Gala.

~
Syrup ingredients:

2/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup water
2 Tbsp butter
1/4 tsp cinnamon

~
Dumpling Pastry:

1 1/2 cups of sifted flour
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp butter
3 or more Tbsp cold water

~
Dumpling Filling:

1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon


Directions:

Wash, peel and core apples




Boil syrup ingredients together and let sit while preparing apples and pastry.
 


Next,

Measure sifted flour into mixing bowl and add salt, mix together.
With pastry cutter or two knives, cut butter into flour mixture until coarse.








Using a pastry cutter






or


Using two knives








Sprinkle with cold water, one Tbsp at a time and mix lightly with a fork until flour mixture is moistened.


 

After flour mixture is moistened, press dough into a ball.  Then, divide into four smaller dough balls.

 


Roll out each piece of dough using a rolling pin.  I place my dough between two pieces of wax paper or parchment paper to roll mine out.
Roll out to approx. 8-10 inches, depending on large your apple is.
If your dough is too sticky, it may be because you handled it too much and may need to go into the refrigerator until it gets firm again.







If using wax or parchment paper, slowly peel paper off of the dough.



Place that delicious, juicy apple in the center and wrap the dough around the apple, making sure to leave a hole in the top.
Secret:  Do not wrap apple in a beautiful manner.  This is the time to make it look kind of ugly.  It makes it looks more delicious in the end.  Does that kind of make sense?  So, for you perfectionists, this may be difficult, but try anyway to make it look lumpy and bumpy.




Place all apples covered with dough in a baking dish.
See how ugly they look?  It's ok my dears, they will be delightful to look at in the end.




Mix dumpling filling (sugar and cinnamon) together in a little bowl.

Spoon dumpling filling in the hole of the apple.  Sprinkle a little around the top and add 1/4 Tbsp of butter inside the hole of apple.

Pour syrup into baking dish with apples.



Place apples in a 425 degree oven and bake for 40-45 minutes.

 


After baking apples, let them cool a little bit before serving.  They are very delicious on their own or you can add ice cream!

Oh my dear!  So yummy, they are soooo yummy! 

These Apple Dumplings are a family Thanksgiving tradition which started a few years ago when my friend Tracy and her mother, Marian, had an Apple Dumpling Making Day.  They shared their recipe and we love it so much, it has now become one of our family favorites.

Okay, here's another secret:  If you're just not that pastry making kind of gal, buy store bought pie dough and wrap your apples in those.  Follow the rest of the directions and bake!  Shh!  Just don't tell anyone I told you.

Thanks Tracy and Marian!


Bon Appetit!


~ Christa ~




16 comments:

Camille said...

Thanks for posting Christa! Do they ever look yummy!! I will definitely have to try this! Your pictures are terrific too!

Have a wonderful weekend!
Camille

Nadine said...

mmm...they look so yummy! A very dear friend just brought me over a basket of apples, I may have to bake these up!

Blessings!
~Nadine

Mrs. E said...

Oh my... doesn't this look amazing?!!! :)
Thank you for sharing with all of us...
in such a beautiful tutorial!

Love~ Miss Jen

Anonymous said...

what a neat tutorial!

I am going to try it tomorrow ~ but tweaking it a bit, since I have a sugar intolerance.

Thank you dear one for sharing such a tasty treat ;-)

blessings to you and your dear family. Bon Appetit!

maria

Christa said...

Hi Maria,
Can you let us all know how you changed the recipe for sugar intolerance? I'm sure others would love to know. I can even edit my post to include your comment if your change works.
Can you have honey? If so, you can just substitute with honey.

Thanks,

Christa

Cathy said...

Hi Christa,

Mother of many small children here with a question: have you ever frozen these? If so, do you bake then freeze or freeze raw, thaw then bake?

See you Sunday!

Christa said...

Well, I just remembered I was going to experiment for you Mrs. S and I forgot to do that.
I will be making another batch next week and I can let you know.
I would think baking them first then freezing would be the best way.
I'll let you know.

See you at church my friend,

Christa

Lady Farmer said...

Oh, my! Christa!
Those look divine! Your photos are great. I love the apple peeler/corer ~ I have one too, but unless my apples are very even, it doesn't work the best. And love your handy little roller! I must to pick the last of the apples to make these! Thank you for sharing the recipe and thank Tracy and Marian, too!
Also, I love all of your quilting pictures on your sidebar! You do fantastic work!
I have a couple more photos of some things my daughters sewed, if you are still taking them.
Blessings!

Gae said...

These look so yummy. Our children have long wanted to have these after seeing the old Disney movie The Apple Dumpling Gang.
Thank you for sharing.

BTW I have really enjoyed visiting and will need to come back and read some more of your lovley blog
God Bless

Sharon said...

Good Morning Christa!

Wow, those sure look delcious! Thank yu for the recipe and the tutorial. I am going to have to try this. I also like your handy roller, could I ask where you got it?

Have a blessed weekend in Jesus!

Sharon

Camille said...

Dear Christa ~

Just HAD to come by and tell you that these were a HUGE success!! OH dear me...how YUMMY!!! I included them in our Saturday morning brunch...thanks again for sharing.

I also want you to know that I love parchment paper but have never thought to use it for rolling out pastry...what a great idea! So much less mess....

Have a glorious Lord's Day tomorrow!
Camille

Christa said...

Sharon,
The mini rolling pin came from pampered chef. I bought it many years ago so I don't know if they still sell them.
:0)
Camille,
I'm so glad the dumplings worked out. Aren't they just so yummy?

:0)

Y'all have a great weekend,

Christa

April said...

Loved your demonstration pictures. My 11 yr old will probably be making these for the family. Gotta go get some apples!

Antoinette Petersen said...

Oh, these look so yummy Mrs. S!

I cannot wait to try them! :)

Grace and peace,

Miss. Antoinette K.

Debbie said...

Dear Krista,
Thank you so much for following my blog; it enabled me to find yours which is absolutely fabulous. I'm now a follower of yours. You have a beautiful family. That apple recipe looks soooooo good I'll have to try it. Guess we'll be checkin' up on each other!
Welcome friend, Debbie

The Girl in the Pink Dress said...

Mmmmmm... I love apple dumplings, but have never had a recipe for them. Will def try this, as we always have lots of apples!
The Girl in the Pink Dress